KPM

Tax Agenda DOL Final Ruling Employee Retention Credit Voluntary Disclosure Program 2024 Tax Calendar New Threshold For Electronically Filing Information Returns ERTC Relief Program For Employers Penalty Relief Corporate Transparency Act IRS Delays Implementation of New Reporting Rule for Taxpayers Cost-Of-Living Adjustment ERTC ERTC IRS ERTC RMD

IRS Employee Retention Credit Voluntary Disclosure Program: Deadline Approaching

In the wake of unprecedented economic challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRS has implemented various relief measures to support businesses and organizations. One such initiative is the Employee Retention Credit (ERC), designed to provide financial assistance to eligible businesses and tax-exempt entities affected by the pandemic. However, amidst the distribution of these crucial funds, concerns have arisen regarding the eligibility criteria and potential misuse of the credit.

As part of its ongoing efforts to help ensure compliance and combat fraud, the IRS has introduced the Employee Retention Credit Voluntary Disclosure Program. This initiative targets businesses that may have inadvertently received ERC funds despite not meeting the eligibility requirements. With the program window set to close on March 22, 2024, affected employers are urged to take advantage of this opportunity to rectify any erroneous claims and avoid potential penalties.

Under the terms of the Voluntary Disclosure Program, eligible businesses have the option to repay 80% of the received ERC funds, allowing them to retain the remaining 20% along with any accrued interest. By voluntarily disclosing inaccuracies in their ERC claims and proactively repaying the allocated funds, businesses can mitigate the risk of facing penalties and interest charges in the future.

IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel emphasizes the importance of businesses reassessing their eligibility for the ERC and taking prompt action if discrepancies are identified. He acknowledges that many well-intentioned businesses may have been misled into filing inaccurate claims due to aggressive marketing tactics surrounding the credit. The Voluntary Disclosure Program offers a valuable opportunity for such businesses to rectify any unintentional errors and maintain compliance with tax laws.

In addition to the Employee Retention Credit Voluntary Disclosure Program, the IRS has implemented a special withdrawal option for businesses with pending ERC claims. This withdrawal program enables employers to retract their ERC submissions, thereby avoiding the potential repercussions of erroneous claims. By withdrawing their claims, businesses can safeguard themselves against future repayment obligations, interest charges, and penalties.
To facilitate greater understanding and awareness of ERC eligibility criteria, the IRS, in collaboration with its law enforcement arm, Criminal Investigation (CI), is conducting educational sessions for tax professionals. These sessions aim to equip tax professionals with the necessary knowledge and tools to accurately assess ERC claims and ensure compliance with tax laws. By enhancing the expertise of tax professionals, the IRS seeks to improve overall compliance with ERC regulations and mitigate the risk of fraudulent activities.

The ERC remains a critical lifeline for businesses and organizations grappling with the economic fallout of the pandemic. However, it is imperative that recipients of ERC funds adhere to the eligibility criteria outlined by the IRS. Through proactive measures such as the Voluntary Disclosure Program and educational outreach efforts, the IRS is committed to safeguarding the integrity of the ERC and promoting compliance among taxpayers.

As the deadline for the Employee Retention Credit Voluntary Disclosure Program approaches, businesses are encouraged to assess their ERC claims diligently and take appropriate action to rectify any discrepancies. By participating in the program or utilizing the withdrawal option, employers can mitigate potential risks and demonstrate their commitment to upholding tax compliance standards. Contact us to learn more.

Related Articles

Talk with the pros

Our CPAs and advisors are a great resource if you’re ready to learn even more.